I made cranberry muffins several times this winter, using a few different recipes. This one is my favorite. By far.
These cranberry muffins with a crumble oat topping are a variation on my orange blueberry muffin recipe.
Cranberries are often a winter ingredient, but I had some in the freezer that were calling out to be made into muffins. This recipe was so successful, that on my next grocery trip I will buy more cranberries. This recipe is a keeper and I will make it year round. These cranberry muffins are just too good to reserve exclusively for winter.
These muffins are moist and packed with flavour. The cranberries are a bit tart, which is balanced out by the cinnamon and ginger. Yes, I added fresh ginger to these. I really have been on a ginger kick for the past year or so. The more I use it, the more things I think should have ginger. The really nice thing in these muffins is that although the ginger definitely gives them flavour, it’s not obvious that it’s ginger.
I gave these cranberry muffins a crumble oat topping. This gives them an extra bit of sweetness without going over the top. I would probably add a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped pecans if Greg wasn’t allergic to tree nuts. The pecans would give them a bit of crunch. However, they are just as good without the topping, if crumble oat topping just isn’t your thing.
My sister arrived at my house five minutes after I took the muffins out of the oven. She taste-tested them and gave her seal of approval. So did Greg.
These cranberry muffins with crumble oat topping get three thumbs up.
Recipe: Cranberry Muffins with Crumble Oat Topping
Crumble Oat Topping:
- 3/8 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Zest from one orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup liquid honey
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt (I used Balkan style)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cranberries, frozen or fresh
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, sugar, cinnamon and butter to make oat crumble. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together zest, orange juice, ginger, oil, honey, yogurt and egg. Add dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Add cranberries and stir until evenly distributed in batter. The batter will be very thick. Do not over mix or muffins will be tough.
- Scoop batter into muffin tins. Sprinkle with oat crumble topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until muffin top springs back when gently pressed with finger. Let cool for several minutes in pan. Place muffins on wire rack to finish cooling.