Now that summer has finally arrived, many people think it isn’t muffin season anymore. I disagree. I think all seasons are muffin season. The trick to beating the heat is to use the oven early in the morning before the house warms up, or late in the evening, after it has cooled off.
As a nod to summer, I am using summer ingredients in the muffins I am baking. Sunday morning saw these beautiful orange blueberry muffins emerging from my oven.
The original recipe that I found, on driscolls.com, was a raspberry-orange muffin recipe. I love fresh raspberries. I can vacuum up a half pint of those babies in minutes. But I will admit to not being overly fond of cooked raspberries. When I saw this recipe, I thought that blueberries would be the perfect berry to use. I know that blueberry is often paired with lemon, but I thought combining blueberries with orange would be nice. Turns out I was right (grin).
I did a few of my usual tweaks to this recipe, using whole wheat flour and honey rather than white flour and brown sugar, making them more wholesome and better suited to breakfast.
Despite Greg’s skepticism when I told him my thought of paring blueberries with orange, he quickly became a big fan of these muffins. This batch didn’t survive too long. The last orange blueberry muffin was gone in under 48 hours.
If you don’t have blueberries on hand, or if you don’t like them, then give it a try with other berries such raspberries or strawberries. Once cranberry season arrives, I think I will try it out as an orange cranberry muffin, but for those, I think I will add a bit of cinnamon and some fresh ginger. In fact, I am tempted to try a bit of ginger in the blueberry combo too, but am hesitant as it could just be that I am loving ginger in everything these days. If someone tries this recipe and adds some ginger, let me know how it works out.
Orange Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup liquid honey
- 1 large egg
- zest (grated) of one orange (I use organic oranges for zest)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (about ½ pint)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a medium bowl. Mix together.
- Combine sour cream, oil, honey, egg, orange zest and orange juice in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture until partially moistened. Add blueberries and stir gently until evenly mixed. Batter will be thick, do not over stir, or muffins will be tough.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and top springs back when lightly pressed with finger.
- Cool in pan 3 minutes. Serve warm or remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Additonal note: I did try adding fresh ginger to these muffins. They are really good that way. I added 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger to the wet ingredients. The ginger brings out the orange flavour and gives it depth. I now add the ginger each time I make these.